John R. Solter, Jr. | Partner
John has litigated, tried and arbitrated cases involving mass transit disasters including train crashes, airplane crashes, trucking disasters, and commercial bus crashes. He has handled negligent security, premises liability, car crashes, tire failures and a vast array of catastrophic personal injury matters achieving life-changing recoveries to his clients. John has also successfully represented clients in medical malpractice and legal malpractice matters.
In the commercial realm, John has successfully handled real estate and contract disputes, complaints for sale in lieu of partition, actions for declaratory judgment, fraud claims, and will caveats, among others. He has represented clients in multi-million dollar real estate transactions, and has successfully represented clients in cases before the Greater Baltimore Board of Realtors.
John provides Professional Trustee services and serves as a trusted advisor to high net worth individuals and provides counsel in a variety of legal matters.
John is a fierce advocate for his clients. But he also understands that the best result is not always achieved through hostile litigation. Although many disputes require an aggressive approach, oftentimes finesse and diplomacy are appropriate and lead to better results.
John was born and raised in Baltimore County. He is a graduate of St. Paul’s School, the University of North Carolina (B.A.); the University of Baltimore School of Law (J.D. magna cum laude, Heuisler Honor Society); and the University of Baltimore Merrick School of Business (M.B.A.).
Following law school, John served as judicial law clerk to the Honorable E. Stephen Derby, in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Maryland and he then began his legal career as an associate at a large Baltimore-area law firm.
When John is not in court or at the office, he is enjoying time with his wife, Sara, his children, Isabela and James, and his Golden Retriever, Dani. You will probably find John standing on the sideline as he watches his children play lacrosse and soccer. He also loves skiing and sailing.
Clients, Cases and Results:
- Catastrophic Injury – $3.5 Million Settlement in representation of Mother and Child in vehicle collision.
- Negligent Security – Representation of parents and estates of three young men shot and killed at a bar/restaurant following an ongoing argument and altercation. Achieved a jury verdict in excess of $2.3 Million and prevailed after multiple appeals.
- Wrongful Death – Representation of the adult children of a victim who was tragically killed in a car collision caused by an uninsured driver. Litigated the case through trial and achieved a judgment in the amount of $1,092,000.
- Representation of part owner (tenant-in-common) of commercial real estate properties. Brought suit for Deed in Lieu of Partition and forced sale resulting in significant six figure sale proceeds for the client.
- Representation of Maryland’s largest furniture retailer in transnational assets purchase agreements, real property acquisitions, commercial leases, commercial loans, and litigation matters of all kinds.
- Representation of individual injured by medical malpractice of Maryland physician involving a botched surgery, and failure to diagnose. Litigated the case through discovery and achieved a substantial six-figure settlement for the client.
- Representation of surviving victims of Amtrak Train No. 188 in the United States District Court for the District of Pennsylvania (multi-district litigation), and achieved arbitration awards averaging more than $924,000 and $798,000.
- Representation of surviving victim of the commercial airline crash landing of American Airlines Flight #331 in the United States District Court for the District of Florida (multi-district litigation); achieved six-figure settlement.
- Representation of local bank in commercial real estate loan transactions.
- Representation of local businesses as general counsel in the formation, operation and growth of business
Representation of countless victims of negligent and drunk drivers throughout Maryland to achieve compensation for both those who are injured and their surviving family members:
- Representation of a mother whose son was killed by a drunk driver while he was riding his bicycle; achieved a settlement of $1,100,000.
- Representation of a mother whose son was killed while working on the shoulder of I-95; achieved a settlement of $900,000.
- Representation of husband and wife injured in a severe, high-speed rear-end collision; achieved an award of $750,000.
- Representation of father whose daughter was tragically killed by a police officer who was speeding in excess of one hundred miles per hour; asserted a wrongful death action and achieved a six-figure settlement.
- Representation of wife whose husband was tragically killed by a drunk driver while riding his motorcycle on I-70; asserted a wrongful death action and achieved a large six-figure settlement.
- Representation of man injured in a high-speed motor vehicle collision caused by the defendant driving a stolen vehicle; achieved an award of $287,000.
Representation of countless victims injured at businesses and commercial or residential premises (including, restaurants and bars, retail stores, shopping centers, office buildings, apartment complexes, rental properties, parking lots and other properties) as a result of the negligence of property owners and businesses:
- Representation of individual injured at a restaurant where he slipped and fell on an oily substance in the parking lot; achieved a settlement of $250,000.
- Representation of an individual injured at a restaurant where she slipped and fell on a wet floor in the entrance vestibule; achieved a pre-suit settlement of $200,000.
- Representation of an individual injured at a Housing Authority of Baltimore City housing complex when she tripped and fell over a trip hazard; achieved a settlement of $200,000.
- Representation of an individual injured at an office building where he slipped and fell on black ice in the parking lot; litigated the case through discovery and achieved a settlement of $160,000.
- Representation of individual injured at a bar in Baltimore City when a patron threw a glass striking client in the face; achieved a settlement in excess of $150,000.
- Representation of an individual injured at their workplace where they slipped and fell on a wet floor; achieved a settlement of $125,000.